Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day off... off day?

Saturday was my day off and I went to help a church in need in Downtown Riverside.

A team of us drove out there in the morning and stayed til about 2pm.

The team as a whole met various needs such as:
  • painting the exterior of the building (well... more like priming, we'll have to go back to paint)
  • Dug up their lawn to fix their sprinkler system
  • Repaired some of the parking lot light fixtures

It was definitely a blessing to be apart of, however... I was having the most off day!! I was a hot mess pretty much the entire time.

First of all,

I was sent to the car to get some supplies, I was handed Michael Bustillos' car keys (the car I drove to the church in) and then walked into the parking only to spend 10 minutes trying to get into someone else's car... completely different type of car mind you, the only ounce of justification I have for my idiocy was that it was the same color haha

After that I was volunteered to run to the store to get more supplies (no need for explanation as to why 'I' was volunteered to make the run) It took me an hour in Lowes to figure out the difference between a 1/2"x 3/4" Tee/no Thread/Adjuster/transformer... I finally asked the guy, you think he'd be used to girls looking aimlessly for stuff in there.

ok, so I get back to the church, only to realize that I didn't purchase PVC cement for all the PVC I just purchase... GREAT! I humbly handed the MEN the bag and told them I'd be back.

When I returned I decided I would just sit and paint... what harm could I do to just stand and paint? right?... wrong, I found a way.

As I was painting the trim to a window, I was so focused on not getting paint on the window seal that I was not noticing the bucket of paint I was spilling ALL over the sidewalk :(

Thank God is was water-based paint... but wait! There's more. I quickly ran to get a hose to clean up the mess. Without thinking any of my steps through (of course) I turn on the hose full blast... I swallowed my stomach as I watched the spilled paint from the sidewalk now getting splashed onto the BRAND NEW fence... different color paint mind you.

I spent the next hour cleaning off the fence, scrubbing the sidewalk, and avoiding all eye contact possible...

It was definitely just ONE of those days :(

overall... a church, a pastor, a community, and a team of servants were blessed!

so I'll stop complaining.

Ps. we are going back to that church to finish up some things, so if you are interested in helping out, hollah!!

~Jolene

4 comments:

  1. What day? What church? Does this count as a hollah?

    ReplyDelete
  2. good enough...

    We are figuring out the day, but it is Riverside First Assembly.

    I'll let you know for sure! We can use all the help we can get

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word Jolene, HILARIOUS. Only because I know you can handle it! Seriously though I wish I could have been there... and yes I will totally in for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great!!! because we are going back on July 11th and I seriously need 25+ people... I'll get you more info if that date works for you :)

    ReplyDelete